Farm Craft Studio contains a collection of over seventeen years of work, projects, and events generated at our home basement. It is truly a magic space. Love at first sight, it’s the reason we bought the property in the first place and amazingly, it manages to find room for everything we put in it.
Not only do we have moving boxes that haven’t been opened since we moved in (seventeen years ago); but our second and third goat births happened in our basement. Earl and Earlene greeted us one morning as we went downstairs to check on mama Minnie. There they were. Our newest goat family.
But before that, the first goat birth was a complete surprise. One morning, about a year before Earl and Earlene were born, I noticed something white in with Minnie. Come to find out it was our first ever baby goat. Clearly his father was a Boer because baby Lester was white with brown on his face. As my first lap-goat, he’ll always be my favorite of favorites.
After the goats got their own barn and moved out of the basement I turned the space in to a soap factory so I could make goat milk soaps and lotions. (My justification for getting/keeping more goats.) Gran’ Nanny’s Goat Milk Soaps was born in 2004 and has survived nicely through festivals and retail dealers (Mostly in Stanly County). To this day, we only use goat milk soaps because of it’s soothing affects on our skin. (We need all the help I can get because we work OUTSIDE most of the time.)
Along the way, other interests developed that keep us busy. Below is a list of our Family of Companies. See the right column for links to these sites.
- Sleeping Dog Ranch describes living the farmstead life and everything that goes along with it. We’ve lived here since 2000 and are in the process of expanding our seasonal gardens/pastures to include more permaculture principles.
- Lazy Layers identifies our farm fresh eggs from cage-free birds as well as other chicken agendas.
- Farm Craft Studio Boss Bags is the name of our aged all-natural goat and horse compost. I select only ‘sweet spot’ compost that has been gracefully aged for over five years in the heart of Poop Mountain.
- Farm Craft Studio Soaps supports our love our goat milk and its health benefits. Gran’ Nanny’s Goat Milk Soaps (GNGMS) was most active between 2004 and 2011 but more or less stopped when the cancer scare took place. Although I still make goat milk soaps, I’ve made several product updates.
- Heaven’s Hill Honey Apiary and Honey Bee Products site shows our honey bees and their products.
Be on the lookout for future products too because I’m also interested in metal arts, welding, as well as kinetic and gardening arts.
Would you believe all these events took place and will take place in our basement/garage. It’s been called the workshop, craft room, storage, Man Cave, chicken equipment storage, garden storage, and welding shop. For all these activities our magic basement deserves a preeminent name. Hence, the all encompassing, yet stylish, Studio.
Like I said, welcome to the Farm Craft Studio. All of us at Sleeping Dog Ranch hope you enjoy your virtual tour.
Pat Allen, Co-owner/Operator and General All Around Trouble Maker 🙂