Farm Craft Studio contains a collection of over seventeen years of work, projects, and events generated at our home basement. It is truly a magic space. Love at first sight, it’s the reason we bought the property in the first place and amazingly, it manages to find room for everything we put in it.
Not only do we have moving boxes that haven’t been opened since we moved in (seventeen years ago); but our second and third goat births happened in our basement. Earl and Earlene greeted us one morning as we went downstairs to check on mama Minnie. There they were. A new family.
The first goat birth was a complete surprise. One morning, about a year before Earl and Earlene were born, I noticed something white in with Minnie. Come to find out it was our first ever baby goat. Clearly his father was a Boer because baby Lester was white with brown on his face. As my first lap-goat, he’ll always be my favorite of favorites.
After the goats got their own barn and moved out of the basement I turned the space in to a soap factory so I could make goat milk soaps and lotions. (My justification for getting/keeping more goats.) Gran’ Nanny’s Goat Milk Soaps was born in 2004 and has survived nicely through festivals and retail dealers. To this day, we only use goat milk soaps because of it’s soothing affects on our skin. (I need all the help I can get.)
Along the way, other interests developed that keep me busy. Below is a list of our Family of Companies. See the right column for links to these sites.
- Bee honey and wax products come from Heaven’s Hill Honey, Apiary and Honey Bee Products.
- In keeping with the laid-back theme of the Sleeping Dog Ranch, Lazy Layers is the name for selling fresh eggs.
- Carolyn Patricia Allen is my pen name for the novels I’m gonna write some day. (They’ll be written on rainy, freezing, high humid days when it’s otherwise impossible to work outside.)
- Back to the Earth is the name of our aged all-natural goat, horse, and sawdust compost tea bags. I use only ‘sweet spot’ compost that has been gracefully aged for at least five years in the heart of Poop Mountain.
- Farmhouse Musings is where I go to write when I’m filling time in between projects, waiting for paint to dry, wax candles to solidify, or weeds to dry out so I can burn them.
- Living Well with Carcinoid Cancer describes my cancer experiences. My comments are more dramatic in the beginning when I was scared and didn’t know what to expect. But I settled down once remission set in. Although, I did gain a tremendous insight on cancers; enough to know that it takes too many incredible people who made our world a much better place when they were alive.
- Nubian Dairy Goats Live at the Sleeping Dog Ranch describes the antics of my adorable goats and the joys of living with them. Love my goats. Hope you enjoy them too.
- Goat Milk Soaps and Beauty Lotions is a simplified name for Gran’ Nanny’s Goat Milk Soaps and contains data and photos about our skin care products. I say ‘our’ because without the goats, none of it would be possible.
- Nubian Soaps aka Goat Milk Bath and Beauty contains more activities around and about Stanly County.
Be on the lookout for future products too because I’m also interested in metal arts, welding, and kinetic and gardening arts.
Would you believe all these events took place and will take place in our basement/garage. It’s been called the workshop, craft room, storage, Man Cave, chicken equipment storage, garden storage, and welding shop. For all these activities our magic basement deserves a preeminent name. Hence, the all encompassing, yet stylish, Studio.
Like I said, welcome to the Farm Craft Studio. All of us at Sleeping Dog Ranch hope you enjoy your virtual tour.
Pat Allen, Co-owner/Operator and General All Around Trouble Maker 🙂